[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.9 Release Planning

Kenneth G. Franqueiro kgf at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Oct 19 14:49:29 EDT 2012

Getting back to the Dojo 1.9 release plan in general, it occurs to me
that there may be something in our best interests to look at that hasn't
been considered yet: "fixing" dojo/store/Observable.

dojo/store/Observable attempts to provide an API allowing store
consumers to react directly to individual changes in data without
necessitating an entire refresh.  However, due to its nature of
attaching to individual query results, it falls flat in some cases when
a consumer attempts to maintain multiple pages of a result set (i.e.
different start/count, same query/queryOptions otherwise).

People have been starting to run into issues with dgrid due to
limitations/quirks of Observable itself, and I think this is something
we seriously need to consider if it is becoming a tripping point for
widgets and other consumers which need to rely on it heavily.  Colin,
myself, and Kris had a bit of discussion in the past about potential
options for going forward with this for 2.0, but if we could prioritize
it as a Dojo 1.9 item I think it has potential to benefit a lot of
people, rather than leaving 1.x users hanging.  Naturally I'm a bit
concerned if it necessitates having a new separate observable API
alongside the current one, but that may be what's required.

--Ken