Revin Guillen rg at sevenite.com
Thu Oct 11 15:52:47 EDT 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at Oct 11 | 12:44 PM, Dylan Schiemann wrote:

> Look at YUI, their marketing around what YUI 3 would become sounded a
> lot like jQuery with some sprinkling of Dojo, rather than focusing on
> what makes their toolkit amazing. I don't see the point in going that
> route. We need to be thinking bigger, about what the apps of the feature
> need from a toolkit, and what our role is in that ecosystem, rather than
> worrying about the past.

One way to look at it is that progressing down as well as up *is* thinking bigger. There's a shortage of good web developers in this industry, and I think it's worth taking a shot at helping some of the newer folks learn good practice rather than waiting for them to become frustrated with whatever they *are* using, or worse yet, seeing all of the cobbled independent ecosystem that's springing up, and thinking THAT is best of breed.

The warning about worrying about the past is well taken. At the same time, everyone everywhere does need to *learn* from it. "Doomed to repeat it", etc...

--
Revin Guillen :: Sevenite Inc
rg at sevenite.com