Bryan Forbes bryan at reigndropsfall.net
Thu Oct 11 15:41:29 EDT 2012

Rawld Gill wrote:
> Colin said “We should not attempt to compete in the brochure site space.
> […] Those areas are both well-served by jQuery”.
>

> Dylan gave Colin a +100.
>

> Tom says dojo is an excellent replacement for JQuery now, let alone what
> a little tuning could do (and I have agreed with everything Tom has said).

Is there a way that these two things are not mutually exclusive? In my
mind, yes. Of course you can use Dojo as a replacement for jQuery now on
any site. It may be a bit more verbose in the smaller cases where you
only need to do something like add a class to some nodes, but there's an
advantage that Dojo has which jQuery doesn't: we offer an "easier" path
to get more complex if the need arises. Does that mean that we're going
to get the Wordpress blogs? Most likely not and I agree that we probably
shouldn't spend considerable effort trying to "compete" with jQuery for
that space as Dojo. If someone wants to do a build as a side project
that takes Dojo and makes it a drop-in replacement for jQuery, they can,
but that shouldn't be our core focus. However, I do agree that we can
target the small web app space (call them whatever you want) with the
value we can provide in the future if the need arises to grow their
application. That's something that jQuery (or any of the other libraries
that are "drop on your page and begin the magic!" libraries) can't offer
the small web app space.

--
Bryan Forbes
http://www.reigndropsfall.net

GPG Fingerprint
3D7D B728 713A BB7B B8B1  5B61 3888 17E0 70CA 0F3D