Kitson Kelly me at kitsonkelly.com
Thu Oct 11 11:23:41 EDT 2012

On 11 October 2012 15:39, Rawld Gill <rgill at altoviso.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry to be a pia, but can you/anybody please give a couple of
> examples of things we should *not* concern ourselves with. Or,
> equivalently, areas where we should *not* compete.

My opinion, which I think others maybe getting at is that we shouldn't be
driven by where we are at relative to other toolkits.  We should be driven
by what we technically need to create the applications we consider our
"target market".  I know you aren't specifically arguing competing feature
by feature against others, but I think in a way that maybe what people are
hearing.

It is always good to "sense check" against the others, look at what they
are doing right and wrong. But if the main driving force for having an easy
to access DOM manipulation API is because JQuery has one would be wrong.
 We should have an easy to access DOM manipulation API because it is needed
to build complex, well structured JavaScript applications.  It is also
needed to hack together a website, but again, that shouldn't be our
motivating raison d'être.

Having features, functionality, APIs to complete against others is not of
interest to me personally.