Ken Benjamin kenbenjamin at kenbenjamin.net
Thu Oct 11 09:13:00 EDT 2012

I agree with Dylan, a real book would make the most sense. Something
structured that leads new users into Dojo (and a bit into object-oriented
Javascript - scope rules, closures, stuff like that) is what is needed.

I like the open-source idea, Pierre, but I think it's very hard to write a
book with too many authors and keep it up to date. It could be done with
experienced writers and a strong editing hand but otherwise we end up more
like a Wiki or our existing documentation. I think that's not enough.

Dylan, what about turning your 1/3rd of a book into a whole book called "An
Introduction to Dojo Toolkit: The Essential Getting Started Guide to
Building Rich Internet Applications" and let it just be what it is. I think
if we can get people started then much of what we have in the reference
guides, tests, and tutorials (and ultimately source code) could fill some of
the remaining gap.

I also see no reason you couldn't (or shouldn't) charge for this book.
$19.97 would be reasonable for 1/3rd of a Dojo book (eBook, self-published,
print on demand publishing). If that isn't enough income, you could
repackage it into an eCourse and probably sell it for much more at the cost
of a smaller audience. The third option is to give it away and use it as a
promotional tool for your business (which would likely preclude my
promotional idea below).

If it seems profitable, then you would have an incentive to create the other
2/3rds.

Assuming it's within the Foundation charter, promotion should be on the DTK
website with equal access for any other current books as well as allowing
the Foundation to receive commission proceeds from such book sales. I'd add
some other recommended resources (books, not just web articles) to the list
to help ensure people new to Dojo have the technical underpinnings needed to
create rich web apps. Topics such as JavaScript ES5+, CSS3, and HTML5 should
be covered as well as, maybe, some server-side technologies such as PHP,
Java, and Node. And also identify the Dojo versions that the books support
(which would allow the old Dojo books to be listed for those few folks new
to supporting a project in 1.4).

One other thought just came to me. Why aren't we identifying those
development environments that actively support Dojo somewhere on the site?
IBM Websphere and Domino, ARCGIS, Eclipse with IBM plugins, Maqetta, Dojo in
Node.js, Zend, Aptana, and other IDE's (nice if there were more IDE's with
AMD support and working type-ahead) - (sorry if I missed you in my list)?

Ken B