Kenneth G. Franqueiro kgf at dojotoolkit.org
Thu Oct 11 09:06:32 EDT 2012

On the contrary, to pretend this *is* a competition (and one that we
should "win") is naive to the extreme, and I am glad that Dylan and Ken
have put their 2c in on this issue (just as myself and Colin and Brian
and maybe a couple of others did during last night's meeting, sorry if
I'm forgetting names).  I was seriously losing sleep last night over the
fact that other people are apparently losing sleep over this imaginary
"war".

As Dylan said, we should be focusing on our APIs and on solving problems
people need to solve.  If we can come up with marketing to put us in a
better position in the end as a result *of* that, that's great.  But the
point remains that a lot of people don't *realize* they need Dojo
because they don't even understand or fathom the problems it will solve
for them, and as I said in my previous e-mail on this thread, that's a
hard marketing task to solve - not necessarily an up-front design task.

Trying specifically to compete with something that we are not directly
in competition with (because Dojo serves a far broader and more powerful
set of purposes) is a waste of effort, when what we should be doing is
trying to repeat the success of what we did 7+ years ago - figure out
what people need to be successful, based on the technology that exists
today and might exist tomorrow - years before anyone else figures it
out.  Unfortunately, predicting the future as well as Dojo has in the
past doesn't always win marketing.

If we try to win by specifically picking a war, we've already lost.  We
need to win based on the virtues of our toolkit - we just need to figure
out how to better get those virtues across.  At the same time, we need
to come to terms with the fact that Dojo is for people who understand
that JavaScript is Serious Business and want to build great things, and
is not for people who don't like to think (which is squarely where
jQuery wins biggest in the marketing department).  Should we put effort
into vetting our APIs to make sure they're as easy to use as we can
fathom?  Absolutely.  But we shouldn't fret over users who don't "get
it" and have no interest in "getting it", because we also have many who
DO get it, and they deserve our continued support.  On the other hand,
if we can do better to help educate and guide users who don't yet "get
it" but *do* show a clear interest in doing so, that is absolutely
something we should strive for.

--Ken