ben hockey neonstalwart at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:59:29 EDT 2012

statement:
the project i want to sell (and I'm willing to invest in) is one which is intentional about being innovative in the foundation built today so that we can remain relevant beyond tomorrow. we need to take this opportunity to go further than just cleaning up our code (which is about learning from our past) but we should also be setting the platform to launch ourselves to be the leading toolkit for modern JavaScript.

argument:
it has been nearly 5 years since dojo 1.0 and i expect 2.x could have a similar lifespan. we should be embracing ES5 and looking towards what will likely be part of ES6 that could be shimmed into ES5.

IE8 is losing ground with end of extended support in 4/2014. if you consider how different our code would be written based on whether or not we support IE8, I'd say supporting a browser that might coexist with our library for less than a year (maybe only about 6 months) is not a good choice. dojo 2.x will continue to live long past IE8 and it would be disappointing to need to avoid something like property descriptors (setters and getters) for the sake of this one browser. I expect dojo 1.x to continue to live long enough to support the remainder of IE8's lifespan.

I could continue... but to keep within the spirit of the question I'll stop there.

--
ben...