Christophe Jolif cjolif at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:45:25 EDT 2012

Let's try to play by the rules and not make it longer than a paragraph.

To me Dojo 2.0 is the opportunity to get a fresh look at what the Dojo
Toolkit always aimed to solved, that is, to me, helping Web developers
build complex Web apps with a consistent "toolkit" approach. I don't
think the overall goals should change when moving from 1.0 to 2.0, we
should "just" make sure to adjust our APIs, practices and environments
to the latest standards so that Dojo can live long, that people
continue to contribute and that we continue helping developers in the
future. This was starting to be difficult with the 1.x branch that has
strong constraints on compatibility and an history of not so well
maintained packages (in dojox). Moving to 2.0 will hopefully help
clearing that and attract new contributors & users. Finally even if
the development will be spread out into different sub-projects, it
definitely does not mean to me that they should follow different
practices. I think consistency is key to learning curve & adoption and
that this fresh start should not be an opportunity to break
consistency but on the contrary to improve it (i.e. dojox project that
will be promoted as top level project can use that opportunity to
better share practices with dojo & dijit which was not always possible
due to compatibility constraints).

--
Christophe