Peter Svensson psvensson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:15:04 EDT 2012

I liked it (the below statement) a lot, but would also (as previous
commenter) see something unique(ish) there. The problem with describing
what's really popping out in Dojo (Data stores, widget system,
cross-platform gfx, insanely epic grid, AMD-way-before-AMD resource mgmt,
etc, etc) is that most developer don't know what those things are either.

It's like tech levels in Traveller, how do you explain a compiler to
someone who is on tech level 1 - they don't think they care, even. And they
might be right.

A lot of discussion I have on and offline is about Dojo providing all of
new framework or library x, y and z, but it's just one thing - so you don't
need to support a frankenframework for the lifecycle of the application.

Maybe emphasis on 'building applications - not webpages' in some way is
 enough.
OK, so that wasn't very helpful. Just my 2c, though :)

Cheers,
PS

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Kitson Kelly <me at kitsonkelly.com> wrote:

> I would +1 it.
>
> The one thing that isn't self evident though in the statement (and I don't
> know if it is a requirement or not) is others=["jQuery", "MooTools",
> "Backbone", "Prototype", "GWT", "Dart", "TypeScript"];
> others.forEach(function(other){ console.log("How is it different from what
> %s is doing?", other); });
>
> On 5 October 2012 15:48, Tom Trenka <ttrenka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is by far the best "mission statement" I've heard to date; maybe we
>> should adopt it?
>>
>> -- Tom

>>> JavaScript is pervasive, primitive, variable in different environments,
>>> and evolving quickly. This has been the status quo forever, and it makes
>>> JavaScript program construction hard and expensive. Dojo 2.0 provides a
>>> unified family of powerful libraries that normalize and progressively
>>> extend the JavaScript environment--browser-hosted and otherwise--to higher
>>> and higher levels of abstraction. These abstractions make program
>>> construction easier, faster, and less expensive.
>>>

>>> <><><><><>
>>>
>>> General Observations (stimulated by other responses).
>>>
>>>  * If we layer the abstractions correctly, it shouldn't be hard use
>>> lower layers. We must lose the "it's awesome but hard" label.
>>>  * Normalizing the environment is required; but it is not enough.
>>>  * To be great, we need the JavaScript community to someday march on the
>>> standards body castle and chant, "make how Dojo does xyz part of the
>>> standard!"
>>>  * If we don't finish the last 20% (docs, tests) and market the crap out
>>> of it (meaning more than Dylan and SitePen), at best we'll be an also-ran.
>>>
>>> --Rawld

"Easily the funniest and most original programming competition around";
http://swdc.se/devnull/

http://se.linkedin.com/in/petersvensson (LinkedIn)
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109826099655556298824<https://plus.google.com/u/0/109826099655556298824/posts>
 (Google+)