Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:01:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Rawld Gill <rgill at altoviso.com> wrote:

> > what is the raison d'etre for dojo 2.0?
>
> JavaScript is pervasive, primitive, variable in different environments,
> and evolving quickly. This has been the status quo forever, and it makes
> JavaScript program construction hard and expensive. Dojo 2.0 provides a
> unified family of powerful libraries that normalize and progressively
> extend the JavaScript environment--browser-hosted and otherwise--to higher
> and higher levels of abstraction. These abstractions make program
> construction easier, faster, and less expensive.

This feels like the DOM API being described, not JavaScript. JavaScript has
had one major update and a minor update in since 1999 (ES3 1999; ES5 2010;
ES5.1 2011)

> <><><><><>
>
> General Observations (stimulated by other responses).
>
>  * If we layer the abstractions correctly, it shouldn't be hard use lower
> layers. We must lose the "it's awesome but hard" label.
>  * Normalizing the environment is required; but it is not enough.
>  * To be great, we need the JavaScript community to someday march on the
> standards body castle and chant, "make how Dojo does xyz part of the
> standard!"

Now that you mention it, why isn't Dojo a member of ECMA with
representatives on TC39? Of course, Alex Russell is always present, but
he's there on behalf of the web and his employer. As one of jQuery's
representatives on TC39, I frequently cite Dojo works as cowpaths for
paving - seems like someone more qualified (ie. from the Dojo core
development team) should join the library author voice on the committee.
Now that Crockford works for PayPal, Yahoo is sending YUI team members as
representatives.

Rick