[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.9 Release Planning

Christophe Jolif cjolif at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 04:07:42 EDT 2012

Kitson,

Let me first thank you for coming up with that summary document.

If I agree with the overall objectives of the release (in particular that
it should not block actual work on 2.0) I do have a few remarks, in
particular with respect to your estimated milestones. I think what you have
come up with is a bit optimistic. As I hinted at, in the meeting agenda,
considering the relatively limited time we can spend on actual development,
a beta near end of March would be more reasonable. In particular I really
don't think we can be feature complete by Jan 31.

For these reasons and before going into more detailed estimation I think
the following key milestones dates are a better guess:

BETA 21-MAR-2013
RC 18-APR-2013
RELEASE 2-MAY 2013

(note that I have put a 2 weeks RC which sound a better practice for a
major release to me but if we stick your 1 week RC, then we end up with
RELEASE 25-APRIL-2013)

I'm sure significantly shorter schedules would really put at risk having
enough features in to deserve a release.

A last small note, your document seems to list most of the items in our
documents. Please note that some of them are not noted as planned for 1.9
at least on our side (thinking dojox/gfx svgweb upgrade for example) and in
particular for Dojo mobile we have yet done the triage of what goes in what.

Actually two other small points:

- a small typo in your doc: dguages -> dgauges
- Note related to 1.9 per se but I suppose the IE10 support we are listing
here for IE10 will have to be backported, so we need to account time for
that as well

Thanks again,

Christophe