Rawld Gill rgill at altoviso.com
Fri Oct 5 00:46:04 EDT 2012

> what is the raison d'etre for dojo 2.0?

JavaScript is pervasive, primitive, variable in different environments, and evolving quickly. This has been the status quo forever, and it makes JavaScript program construction hard and expensive. Dojo 2.0 provides a unified family of powerful libraries that normalize and progressively extend the JavaScript environment--browser-hosted and otherwise--to higher and higher levels of abstraction. These abstractions make program construction easier, faster, and less expensive.

General Observations (stimulated by other responses).

 * If we layer the abstractions correctly, it shouldn't be hard use lower layers. We must lose the "it's awesome but hard" label.
 * Normalizing the environment is required; but it is not enough.
 * To be great, we need the JavaScript community to someday march on the standards body castle and chant, "make how Dojo does xyz part of the standard!"
 * If we don't finish the last 20% (docs, tests) and market the crap out of it (meaning more than Dylan and SitePen), at best we'll be an also-ran.

--Rawld