[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.9 Release Planning

Kitson Kelly me at kitsonkelly.com
Thu Oct 4 12:53:52 EDT 2012

All:

At the weekly meeting yesterday, we discussed the need to start firming up
Dojo 1.9.  I indicated that I would be willing to "administer" the process
in order to bring together a plan around the release.  As we have discussed
Dojo 2.0, the realisation is that there is an increasing need to provide
some enhanced functionality in Dojo 1.9.

I am making available a draft document, that currently only contains my
thinking, to start the process of planning:

Dojo Toolkit 1.9 Release
Plan<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18xxHEelE_5Iozi4fSEBM-4MFqM0X8-hMjxW5W57laYw/edit>

I have tried to accurately detail the 1.9 scope described in the documents
Christophe linked in the
agenda<http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/wiki/ProjectMeeting/2012-10-03>
from
yesterday, plus add the other items of scope that were talked about.  If
there is any additional proposed or candiate functionality, we should get
it into the document.

I would like to re-issue a draft on the 19th October with the final release
of the plan on the 26th October.  Comments can be made here on the mailing
list, to me directly or I will add edit permissions to those who request
it.  If everything goes according to plan, I have suggested a release of
Dojo 1.9 on 6th March (again, based on my estimate, not a confirmed date
until after the planning had concluded).

A few points that I think were generally agreed about the 1.9 Release were:

   - No new modules in DojoX, anything pre-2.0 needs to follow the dgrid or
   gridx model.
   - The desire is not to introduce significant amounts of new
   functionality.
   - Recognise that we will likely be working on 2.0 at the same time as
   1.9.

Regards,
Kit