Kitson Kelly me at kitsonkelly.com
Thu Oct 4 03:21:37 EDT 2012

Well, before I start my paragraph, I do want to say it is a "challenge" in
that Dojo has for a long time had more than one *raison d'être*.  That
makes it hard:

Dojo 2.0 is a foundation toolkit for creating enterprise grade
applications.  It provides a set of APIs and components that bridge the gap
between a platforms raw capabilities and the needs of applications in a
consistent fashion.  Leveraging only JavaScript for the APIs and
components, it does not require a compiler or interpretor.  It also
provides other useful tools to aid in the workflow and toolchain of
JavaScript based enterprise software development.  This is done in a truly
open source fashion with strong governance around clean IP.

I do want to caveat my paragraph though with a few things I think Dojo 2.0
is not:

   - It is not a framework.  The toolset should be incorporated into
   frameworks, but I think we would be kidding ourselves to say Dojo 2.0 is a
   framework.  I can expound on what I think a difference between a toolkit
   and a framework if not self-evident.
   - It is not for building websites. Again, I can expound if this is not
   self-evident in what I mean.
   - It does not dominate the world and not everything to everyone.
   - It is not Dojo 1.X dropping support for IE6/7.
   - It is not a pastebin of "cool ideas".