[Dojo-interest] Enhancement #11800 breaks common UI behavior

Earl Hood earl at earlhood.com
Fri Sep 9 12:09:52 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM, I wrote:

> After some analysis, I noticed this changed occurred for Dojo 1.9 (and later
> releases), and appears to be backported to a version of 1.8 (1.8.10 has same
> behavior as later releases).  Using 1.7.5, the better (IMO) behavior occurs
> where one can use the arrow keys as keyboard focus is switched to the menu
> raised.
>
> Examing the source, it appears the changes for ticket #11800,
>
>   https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11800
>
> is the culprit behind the behavior change.

Another related behavior change that occured between 1.8.x and 1.9.x is
arrow key navigation does not work in 1.9 and later even if you hover mouse
over a menu item.  In versions 1.8 and prior, click to popup/dropdown menu,
move mouse over first item.  You can then use arrow keys move highlight to
other menu items.  In 1.9, this is no longer the case.

I have not been able to find the specific code changes between 1.8 and 1.9
that lead to this behavioral change.

This change a behavior goes contrary to normal GUI based applications.  For
example, in native GUI apps, arrow-key-based higlighting of a menu item will
always work, regardless of how the menu was raised or how a menu item was
highlighted (e.g. mouse hover).

--ewh