[Dojo-interest] “[File] Save As” Functionality

burnsmicro burnsmicro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 17:55:53 EST 2014

On 14-01-06 07:20 AM, Simon Speich [via Dojo Toolkit] wrote:
> What Karl wrote is still valid today. For security reasons you can't
> write a file to a client directly through JavaScript. However, you can
> write data locally using indexedDB on modern browsers, see
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/IndexedDB
Thanks Simon, but I am out of my depth here.

> Depending on what you wan't to do, you can force the browser to
> display a download dialog by responding with a
> header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=myfile');

Thanks. It took me a while to figure it out, but it seems to work as
intended:

First, I added a PHP file, SaveAs.php, to the [LAMP] server:

<?php
header("Content-type:application/pdf");

// The file will be named downloaded.doc in the browser's SaveAs dialog:
header("Content-Disposition:attachment;filename='downloaded.doc'");

// readfile the file to be downloaded from the server:
readfile("subfolder/FileToDownload.doc");
?>

..and I added a button to a test web page with the following OnClick()
method, to get the server to execute SaveAs.php:

onClick: function( ) {
window.location = 'http://localhost/dev/dev/SaveAs.php';
},
: