[Dojo-interest] Image onload not firing in Safari

Peter Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Tue May 1 11:08:19 EDT 2012

There are weird issues relating to image.onload x-browser. The "proper" way to avoid all issues is to connect to image.onload _before_ setting the src.  In the context of dojox/gfx, that may be a little bit more complicated. I'm not sure what createImage() is doing under-the-covers (but a dive into the code on your part might reveal something).

Something like:

var img = surface.createImage({ w: …, h: …, x: x, y: y });
img.connect("load", function(e){

});
img.src = "icon.png";

This assumes the .src attribute can be set in such a manner on a "GFX Image". Worst case you can cache the "preload" the image src, and onload there attach the image to the surface. Something like:

var img = new Image();
var co = dojo.connect(img, "onload", function(e){
	surface.createImage({ ….., src: "icon.png" });
  	dojo.disconnect(co);
});
img.src = "icon.png";

HTH.