[Dojo-interest] Examples Using Dijit with Zero Markup?

Peter E Higgins dante at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Apr 28 12:30:27 UTC 2008

It's very possibly.  All widgets are designed so that they can be
parsed, and all their attributes stolen from the node, or
programatically. There are isolated examples for most every widget,
though no "single" markup-free example I am aware of.

An example of "progressive enhancement" would be (off the top of my
head) the SitePen QuickStart they've just put out:
http://sitepen.com/labs/guides/?guide=DojoQuickStart

It's a ton of valid html, and a script (uncompressed for learning)
tab.js - which turns the whole thing into a Stack Container and adds
some syncage to the navigation.

The "magic" of Full layout UI from plain JSON definitions is something
that dijit does not do, though with some effort a wrapper to provide
such functionality could be developed. All the potential is there, just
not implemented. The most dificult part would be supplementing the small
ammount of Dom Manipulation needed to work with layout and non-layout
widgets together, though dijit provides access to both:

var othernode = dijit.byId("myContentPane").containerNode; // the body
var obj = dijit.byId("foo") is the object foo,
var dom = dijit.byId("foo").domNode is the place in the dom the widget
exists.
othernode.appendChild(dom); // to place the widget in the contentPane

So it's very easy with a mixture of obj and dom.  Dojo / Dijit makes few
assumptions like that, though provides a consistent API to accomplish it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Peter Higgins

p.s. you are the second person to mention no-password mailling.  If you
jump in #dojo (irc.freenode.net) sometime we can look into dtk.org
account issues, or just reset your password ...