[Dojo-interest] simple drag and drop in 0.9

Jeremy Quinn jeremy at apache.org
Wed Apr 2 13:21:28 UTC 2008

Dear All

I also find myself struggling to update some custom DND code from Dojo
0.4.n in the Repeater Widget from Apache Cocoon CForms block.

I am initially trying to do this without resorting to extending the
DND classes.

One problem I am trying to solve is keeping the state of a checkbox in
each dojoDndItem in sync with the selection state of the dojoDndItem
(we need to persist the selection state). Checking/unchecking the
checkbox and clicking/dragging the dojoDndItem should both be able to
effect each other.
This is made more difficult by having no API for setting or reading
the selection state on a dojoDndItem or being notified when it
changes, meaning I am having to call private functions etc. from a
custom onMouseUp handler called after the one on dojo.dnd.Selector. It
just about works, though there must be a better way (is there?).

The next Issue I have to face is control over copy-or-move operations.
A CForms Repeater should only allow move operations within a single
Source and copy operations while transferring between multiple Sources.
We were able to control this in the past by connecting to the relevant
event using 'before' advice, however this has been removed from Dojo
1.1. I cannot see how to modify or cancel in-progress DND operations.

How did the developers envisage these kinds of modifications to DND
behaviour should be applied?

Thanks for any suggestions

regards Jeremy