[Dojo-interest] AJAX Toolkits

Jared Jurkiewicz jared.jurkiewicz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:13:18 UTC 2007

Just a small comment on a section of a concern:

side. Although its nice to standardize, the dojo.data format isn't
suitable for my needs other than for interacting with widgets. If you
hadn't implemented a previous version, or were able to change the
serialisation and server side to fit with dojo.data it may have been
much less painful than it was for me.

There isn't a 'dojo.data' format.  Dojo.data is an API for accessing
data 'items' and values off those items (the format of those items,
their backing data structure, is hidden by the API).
ItemFileReadStore/ItemFileWriteStore is one of many implementations of
the API.  It was intended to provide a basic store that implemented
all of the defined dojo.data APIs to provide as a bootstrap for
getting to use and test widgets, as well as a starting point for
understanding the API.  There are other stores that use drastically
different formats for its data, for example:

dojox.data.CsvStore   (It works against CSV formatted data)
dojox.data.OpmlStore  (It works against OPML formatted data, which is
a defined XML format.   See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPML).
dojox.data.XmlStore  (Works against fairly general XML documents).
dojox.data.HtmlTableStore  (Works against HTML formated tables)
dojox.data.FlickrStore  (Example store that wraps talking to the flick
public photo feed and exposing search results as items)

The goal with dojo.data was to define an API to write widgets against
that can then be taken by people who have custom services, backend
data providers, and the like and they can craft the implementation of
the dojo.data API so that their service can then work fairly well with
all the existing widgets that are dojo.data bound.  That way you don't
have to have each widget define how 'it' must take data, but rather an
interface all widgets understand ... and people write a data store for
their service in order to translate from their format, to something
the widget can work with easily.  It's effectively the data
controller.

Does that help any with understanding the intent of dojo.data?   A lot
of people seem to thing ItemFile*Store implementations *are*
dojo.data, when they are just one of many possible implementations of
the API.
This is covered under the documentation of dojo.data at:
http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-3-programmatic-dijit-and-dojo/data-retrieval-dojo-data-0

Though I do have to admit it is not obvious in the dojo book how to
find that link.  It's just one link as shown by the toc, but there are
actually quite a few topics, examples, and descriptions, of the
various aspects and currently implemented stores.

Sincerely,
-- Jared Jurkiewicz