[Dojo-interest] [ANN] Dojo 0.9 Final

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Aug 20 18:51:27 UTC 2007

After a complete re-think about the purpose and value of Dojo, and after
months of grueling ground-up work on the part of the entire Dojo team,
I'm happy, proud, and excited to announce that Dojo 0.9.0 is available.

	http://download.dojotoolkit.org/release-0.9.0

And AOL is already hosting 0.9 in their CDN. See:

	http://build.dojotoolkit.org/0.9.0/

For those porting Dojo applications from previous version of the
toolkit, you can refer to the Porting Guide for help on where APIs
landed in the shuffle:

	http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-porting-guide-0-4-x-0-9

In may cases, you'll need less code overall to get the same thing done
(or done better), and Bill Keese (Dijit Project Lead) has put together
a great overview of what's new and awesome:

	http://dojotoolkit.org/files/Dijit09.pdf

The quick rundown of 0.9 features will be familiar to committers by now:

Dijit:
	* unified look and feel for all widgets
	* ambitious a11y and i18n features in every Dijit widget
	* a mature CSS-driven theme system with multiple, high-quality themes
	* huge improvements in system performance
	* data-bound widgets
	* Declarations for lightweight widget writing
	* a new page parser that allows instances of any class, not just
widgets
	* no magic

Core:
	* reduced API surface area (easier to remember and use)
	* dojo.query() always available, returns real arrays
	* from-scratch high-performance DnD system
	* Base (dojo.js) is 25K on the wire (gzipped)
	* dojo.data APIs finalized
	* new build system
	* new test harness for both CLI and browser use
	* dojo.behavior now marked stable and based on dojo.query
	* excellent animation APIs with Color animations in Base (always
available)
	* all the features you've come to count on from Dojo (RPC, JSON-P,
JSON, i18n, formatting utilities, etc.)

DojoX:
	* high quality implementations of previously experimental features:
		* gfx (portable 2D drawing)
		* data wires
		* offline
		* storage
		* cometd (Bayeux client)
		* etc.
	* dojox.gfx now includes Sliverlight support
	* many more features and improvements than there's room for here

Finally, my sincerest thanks to the committers, contributors, and
organizations whose hard work and support made this possible. We took a
great risk in attempting 0.9 and without their herculean efforts, Dojo
would not be the thriving, open project that it is today.

Regards

--
Alex Russell
alex at sitepen.com     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876