[Dojo-interest] dojo.fadeOut() in IE

Michael Smith msmith at ingeniux.com
Thu Aug 9 23:50:24 UTC 2007

I've seen similar issues in both IE6 and IE7.

I haven't nailed down the exact problem yet, but it has something to do
with the fact that opacity is not always inherited by child nodes in IE.
In particular, I've found this to be the case when child nodes are
either absolute positioned or when the float property is set to left or
right.

For example, with the following HTML:
		<input id="input1" style="position:absolute; top:1;
left:1" />

If you do dojo.fadeOut() on just the "div1", then the input field will
not fade out. I've seen this for elements with "position:absolute", and
I think it's also true for elements with "float:left" or "float:right".

However, I've found that if you pass both element ids as an array to the
fadeOut function, then they both will fade in IE. The side effect is
that the child element will fade twice as fast in FF. This worked in
Dojo 0.4.x with the following code
	dojo.lfx.fadeOut(["div1", " input1"], 300).play();
but I'm not sure if the 0.9 API for dojo.fadeOut will accept multiple
nodes.

Maybe someone else has some more information on this, but this is what
I've found so far.

~Michael