[Dojo-interest] A problem with Editor and Editor2 widgets

Victor Danilchenko victor at askonline.net
Sat Sep 16 20:28:20 MDT 2006

	Hi all,

	I have encountered an interesting problem with the Editor and Editor2
widgets. I am using them in an application to edit text in place, then
save the resulting HTML. Everything works fine when simple text is being
edited for the first time, but if I edit the text to include some
structural features (lists, headings, indents and justifications seem to
do it), then save it, display it, and try to edit this HTML again -- the
editing of any text at or below such HTML elements is impossible. It's
as if they are read-only.

	Other HTML tags, the ones which don't affect the HTML flow (e.g.
bold/italic/underline, color/background, etc.) don't have this effect;
but the flow-affecting markup seems to be impossible to convert into an
editable text, even though initially creating such text works fine. This
sort of HTML seems to effectively become read-only.

	What's more, if I edit the still-editable section of the widget (the
text before the first flow-altering HTML tag) and extract and save the
widget text, the text at and after the flow-altering tags simply
vanishes. That which used to be a read-only section of the edit window,
is now simply gone. Just as the regular text below such an HTML tag
became uneditable, the next getEditorContent() operation not merely
skips the flow-altering text, but also everything below it, just as the
widget itself rendered all that text uneditable.

	Any idea what's going on here? is this something I can control? I am
using Firefox 1.5.0.5 under Linux.