[Dojo-interest] Dojo bloated / sluggishness

Sanjiv Jivan sanjiv.jivan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 12:12:56 MST 2006

Thanks for considering this as a real concern. I read your response
regarding the Dojo AOP stuff but I still don't understand why Dojo is
AOP'ing non-Dojo elements.

The slowing down of things over time with Dojo seems related to widgets and
the event system. I checked out Boompa and would not classify this as a
prime example of a Dojo app as it uses Dojo in a very limited way (io bind
and some css manipulation).

AFAIK, the sluggishness is related to widgets and/or events. I realize that
unless you have a sample / test to reproduce the issue its hard to chase
this one down. I'm going to do some more testing to narrow the issue and
make it reproducible. I'll also try to make my app accessible on the
internet for you guys to reproduce the issue. All I can tell at the moment
is that the issue seems related to widgets and (connect) events.

FYI here are the dojo pieces that I'm using :
1. Lots of tabs,
2. Several content panes that loads data remotely as well as locally. some
cached and some not..
3. Dojo dialog that loads remote content ( which is dispalyed within a tab
container with 5 non cacheable tabs).
4. Dojo check boxes, form fields, and image / href links which connected to
Dojo events / actions.
5. Dojo wizard (but i've seem the slugishness even before I started using
the Wizard).

btw has anyone used the Tito web studio profiler mentioned in the Dojo book
for performance profiling? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Sanjiv