[Dojo-interest] Dojo example code proposals!

Laurent Hasson ldh at laurent-hasson.com
Fri Dec 1 12:37:16 MST 2006

"somewhat of a speed increase"? I implemented tooltips for my site
(see example here
http://d.ratingmovies.com/servlet/Main/PeopleDisplay?name=Allen%2C+Woody).
This page has some 100+ links with tooltips and the difference
between markup and programmatic was close to an order of magnitude
difference (some 85% faster!!!). On a fast modern machine with plenty
of memory, that translates into over 3s Vs. less than half a second,
but on a slower machine, it goes from unusable to usable as the
browser will popup an alert if a script takes too long to execute,
which the parsing logic does at page load time.

Since then, i pretty much always use direct JavaScript creation and
never use tags anymore. I think the technology is very cool to get
started and prototype things up, but for a production site, it's not
appropriate yet. Gotta wait till dual cores become the low-end of the
market... That takes us into 2010?

This is why i suggest that proper samples show all three methods, and
there be also some chapter about the various performance tradeoffs
between the three versions. I caught this problem early in my
development from a user who had a slower machine, but i'd hate to see
some Dojo-based project move forward with developer-class machines
thinking that everything is beautiful with all those easy-to-use
tags, and then suddenly realize performance issues too late and blame
it on Dojo.

LDH