[Dojo-interest] Grid Widget and Deployment Issues

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Wed May 18 01:48:04 PDT 2005

Hey Scott,

Good news: I fixed the WidgetManager problem.

Bad news: it's a dumb bug that's due to (guess what!) a regular
expression that's not (yet) as smart as it could be.

The problem in a nutshell:

When you make a build, we run the files you specify in your profile file
through a JavaScript interpreter which tries to use the built-in
package system smarts to determine what does and doesn't need to be
loaded...but without running everything. The system matches known
package loading commands and extracts the packages to load from them,
which works exactly like it does in your dev environment...until you
comment out an include. Since the command-line system uses a dumb
regexp instead of actually running the scripts, it's missing the
comments now and producing different results when used at the command
line vs. in the browser.

An updated version of WidgetManager.js that fixes the immediate issue
has been committed and bug #16 has been filed and assigned to me:

	http://dojotoolkit.org/trac/ticket/16

Regards

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 12:13 am, Scott J. Miles wrote:
> Here is a test deployment of a dojo Grid widget I built after
> reviewing Alex's latest widget documentation:
>
> http://www.turboajax.com/test_grid.html
>
> It's not much of a dataset, but the grid has sorting and in-place
> editing. The data is retrieved asynchronously from a PHP/MySql
> backend. I have an internal version which transparently writes edits
> back to the DB (which is kind of snazzy).
>
> I had some issues with attempting to deploy my test code however. I
> built a __package__.js using a custom profile that included my widget
> code, but then dojo complained that WidgetManager.js could not be
> found. I worked around that problem by including the WidgetManager.js
> in its usual spot (src/webui/...).
>
> Then I noticed that my resize code wasn't functioning with the
> profile build vs the full source version, so I punted and just copied
> the needed bits from the source tree to my deployment.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about debugging my problems with the
> __package__.js build. It would be a lot nicer to have that simple
> deployment.
>
> Also, I noted (via Venkman) that dojo was throwing a lot of
> (invisible) error messages about the modules I didn't include in my
> source deployment. Can I suppress those by setting debug to false?
>
> Please let me know how you find the grid demo. God knows how well it
> works in the wild.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

- --
Alex Russell
alex at netWindows.org  F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46