[Dojo-interest] Grid Widget and Deployment Issues

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Tue May 17 08:08:16 PDT 2005

Hi Scott,

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 12:13 am, Scott J. Miles wrote:
> Here is a test deployment of a dojo Grid widget I built after
> reviewing Alex's latest widget documentation:
>
> http://www.turboajax.com/test_grid.html

This is awesome!

> It's not much of a dataset, but the grid has sorting and in-place
> editing. The data is retrieved asynchronously from a PHP/MySql
> backend. I have an internal version which transparently writes edits
> back to the DB (which is kind of snazzy).
>
> I had some issues with attempting to deploy my test code however. I
> built a __package__.js using a custom profile that included my widget
> code, but then dojo complained that WidgetManager.js could not be
> found. I worked around that problem by including the WidgetManager.js
> in its usual spot (src/webui/...).
>
> Then I noticed that my resize code wasn't functioning with the
> profile build vs the full source version, so I punted and just copied
> the needed bits from the source tree to my deployment.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about debugging my problems with the
> __package__.js build. It would be a lot nicer to have that simple
> deployment.

So I had looked at your Grid.js, put it in my environment, and tried to
build the appropriate __package__.js file, and it worked fine. At this
point, perhaps it would be better if you just zipped up your Dojo
working directory and sent it to me so I can poke around. I don't know
that there's anything I can do to debug it from here = (

> Also, I noted (via Venkman) that dojo was throwing a lot of
> (invisible) error messages about the modules I didn't include in my
> source deployment. Can I suppress those by setting debug to false?

I think those are getting bubbled up with a dj_throw() call, and we
don't squelch those with isDebug = false. OTOH, isDebug=false will
squelch in-page logging. I think the right thing to do here is to just
fix your deployment package.

> Please let me know how you find the grid demo. God knows how well it
> works in the wild.

I've only tried it on FF, but it looks great.

Regards

- --
Alex Russell
alex at netWindows.org  F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46