[Dojo-interest] Marshalling support

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Fri May 13 22:10:21 PDT 2005

> I don't quite understand the pure client-side emphasis that you seem
> to be implying.  The main point of Dojo is an *application* framework,
> not just a widget collection or similar loose bag of tricks.  Web
> applications of any serious scale will need to communicate
> non-trivially with the backend to be useful.  Demonstrating various
> common client-server patterns implemented btw Dojo and the common
> webapp server technologies seems like a no-brainer for Dojo
> evangelism.

It most certainly is.  But the server tech apis should not be a core
part of Dojo--it should be add-ons or implementations working with
Dojo.  That's what I meant by it.  There's nothing worse than to take
a kit that it intended for a specific purpose (in this case, a
client-side library) and (unintentionally perhaps) force a particular
server platform to go with it.  The whole point of SOAP, XML-RPC and
something like JSON is to provide a platform-agnostic way of passing
structures back and forth.  In my mind at least, Dojo (and any other
successful js api, btw) should remain completely self-sufficient and
not rely on any specific server technologies.

That being said, I don't see anything at all wrong with creating
add-ons that are not a part of the Dojo core distribution.  Including
Flickr and perhaps a Google Map API :)