[dojo-contributors] signing DOH robot JAR

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Dec 2 19:07:36 EST 2014

The DOH robot jar's certificate has expired, and the instructions at
https://github.com/dojo/util/blob/master/doh/robot/README#L32 didn't work
for me.

But I tried just following the much simpler procedure listed at
http://www.jade-cheng.com/uh/ta/signed-applet-tutorial/#creating-self-signed-applets
and (after preliminary testing) it seems to work fairly well, even with the
latest version of java and the latest versions of FF, IE, and Chrome.   For
FF and IE11, it only gives security prompts initially, not on every test.
For chrome, it gives the prompts occasionally (perhaps when robot is run
after non-robot tests?).  Seems at least as good as before.

I'm far from an expert on signing applets, so if anyone has any insight,
let me know.  I know that getting a real signature (from Verisign etc.) is
better than self signing, and Christophe said he would try to get a real
signature.   For the meantime, I may check this in.  One downside is that
it says it expires "within 6 months", so the procedure needs to be repeated
often.  Probably there's a flag to adjust that.

Bill