[dojo-contributors] Dojo approved extensions release

Dylan Schiemann dylan at dojotoolkit.org
Sun Sep 1 10:34:22 EDT 2013

As we prepare for Dojo 2, I'm hearing from many of our users inside of
large enterprises that it's a struggle to get additional plugins and
extensions legally approved for usage. We have discussed this topic in
the past (a mechanism for providing federated or approved
packages/extensions, and/or a way to get kitchen sink releases in the
2.x timeline).

That said, we have this issue now, where we have a number of packages
that strictly comply with Dojo Foundation guidelines, and which in the
past would have been included inside of DojoX.

To solve this problem for current Dojo users, I would like to propose a
release of Dojo that bundles approved packages so that companies only
need to get approval for Dojo.

As such, I would suggest that we offer an additional 1.9.2 release,
perhaps we call it something like sdk-extended or some more clever name,
that includes packages such as (but not necessarily limited to, or not
necessarily even the following):

compose
dbind
dbootstrap
dcl
dgrid
dijit-claro-stylus
dojo-smore
gridx
hokan (https://github.com/kitsonk/hokan)
Intern (probably doesn't make sense to include the code base due to npm
install, but could include a placeholder for it with installation
instructions)
put-selector
storehouse ( https://github.com/jensarps/storehouse )
xstyle

Perhaps the following (since they were removed from DojoX):

Lightstreamer-store
cometd

And perhaps the following utilities:

dojo-amd-converter
api-viewer
js-doc-parse

At this point, it's less about which packages I might be missing, or
which of these should or should not be included, but rather the idea of
an extended release to help our users streamline their approval process,
and how we should go about doing this.

Should I put this on dote? Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Regards,
- -Dylan