[dojo-contributors] DojoX Decomposition

Kitson Kelly me at kitsonkelly.com
Sun Mar 17 07:28:22 EDT 2013

With the release of 1.9 imminent, we hopefully would release Dojo 2.0
before we release 1.10, at least that is the plan we have been discussing.
 We also did not add any new sub-modules in Dojo 1.9 (or 1.8 if I remember
correctly).  Obviously the core and widgets in 2.0 are still much a topic
of conversation.  But there will not be a DojoX in 2.0.  We have all agreed
to that.  So we need to figure out what happens to the existing code base
post 1.9.

Ideally, anyone raising their hand to take a lead on a particular part of
DojoX would first get it working against Dojo 1.X and then as the Core and
widgets take shape, they transition to that.  The beauty of AMD is that it
should mostly be a minor refactoring, but the "heavy lifting" is breaking
it out.  This is what Dylan was referring to as "seeding" some packages.

I have marked a few of the widgets in DojoX that I am fond of in the
document mentioned below and will be breaking them out into
a separate package.  It will initially run against 1.9 (or SVN trunk), but
as Dojo 2.0 materialises, I will transition it to that.  Hopefully there
are others willing to start the same process so we can all figure out how
we do this.

My suggestion would be that once a package is sufficiently standalone, we
remove its corresponding code from DojoX for 1.10 and beyond.  In some
cases this will also allow us to close down lingering tickets in
bugs.dojotoolkit.org.