[dojo-contributors] Instrumenting deferreds to log (unhandled) rejection values

Sasha Firsov suns at firsov.net
Tue Jun 19 14:35:50 EDT 2012

This exception handling log method is good enough. I like to remind
generic issue with missing development pattern which has been raised
early in dojo-interest.

> While been developing in C++ I found ASSERT capability quite handy in
> sources. And missing it very much in JS.
>
> For those who not familiar with concept, ASSERT( condition,
> message,...) will render message with stack trace and a breakpoint if
> condition evaluated to false, In release build it is excluded from
> sources and does not leave any performance footpring.
> Also there are several log levels which are eliminated from release build.
TRACE and ASSERT (with combination of both) are good habit in C++
development. Same would be quite beneficial in DTK.
Looks some support we could gain from build levels and compiler which
capable of removing empty function calls.

Backing to Deferred logs, TRACE(err) is the perfect use case of release
build logs removal.
Sasha