[dojo-contributors] dojo/has Tags

Kitson Kelly kitson.kelly at asseverate.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 03:05:49 EDT 2012

One of the things that I thought I would table that might warrant further
thoughts/consideration, is that we have the addition of has tags being
added to the code base, which is good, but potentially in a non-organised
fashion, nor, that I am aware of, an agreed standard.  With them
distributed throughout the code, it is hard to tell where we
might indadvertedly introduce regressions.  I did a grep against the
current trunk and updated the reference-guide:
http://livedocs.dojotoolkit.org/dojo/has.

Does the Doc Parser (and the next version of the API document) properly
recognise these and do we have something inline in the documentation that
allows developers to properly comment what their tag does?

Should we be more clear on how tags are introduced, named, managed, etc?  I
have noticed that some of the code base requires "dojo/sniff" and then
calls it "has" as the return argument.  IMO, that makes for a bit of
confusing code.  I see advantages of registering has tags in the modules
that most relate to them, but I also potentially see benefits of loadable
"library" of modules that are maintained in one area of the code base.