[dojo-contributors] [eventual] migration from SVN to github

Adam L. Peller adam at peller.org
Sun Jan 1 21:56:09 EST 2012

2011/12/23 Kitson Kelly <kitson.kelly at asseverate.co.uk>

> Well, I think there should be at least a "framework" of which to work
> from.  The CPM package specification already includes a link to a bug
> database, but I would suggested we at least have something that a package
> maintainer to plug into if they want to make it easy to be part of the
> wider community.  While it is great we are getting away from a giant
> "dojox", one of the things that I have like about the community was that I
> have been able to make minor enhancements and do some fixes across a wide
> set of code.  If I had to go across 20 different instances of 4-5 different
> bug tracking systems in order to try to contribute, I wouldn't have
> bothered in the first place.

What sort of use cases we need to accommodate for bug tracking across
multiple projects?  I understand the need for all the 'core' stuff to be in
a single place.  Aside from the massive AMD migration, how common is it to
make contributions across, say, multiple dojox subprojects?  How common is
it to have one particular checkin to span multiple subprojects?

So while decentralisation has its merits, we do need to tread a fine line
> between that and disorganised.

Yes, I agree there's a trade-off, but I don't think we can continue to
force everyone down the exact same path for infrastructure and expect the
community to thrive.  Perhaps related code could end up in clusters which
do conform to a particular bug reporting system (for example, widgets,
which despite currently being in dojox.widget clearly need to be defined as
independent projects)  Perhaps it would be that "Dojo Foundation sponsored"
code, whatever that means exactly, uses a particular bug tracking tool or
instance?

-Adam