[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.7 Goals: has() and granular dependency lists

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Tue Mar 15 11:09:32 EDT 2011

If memory serves me correctly, this decision (use our implementation in
all browsers) was done because of two factors: in almost all browsers
native implementations were *slower* than trivial JavaScript once, and
because of space considerations --- why ship two implemntations + a
switch between them, if there are no other benefits?

Just ran a test in Chrome 11 on Linux --- native versions 2-3 times
slower on this benchmark: http://www.perfjs.com/#638003

I tried it on FF3.6 --- forEach is twice slower, yet reduce* is almost
the same.

It appears that the current generation of browsers do not give us clear
incentive to switch, other than for possible build reduction purposes.

Cheers,

Eugene Lazutkin
http://lazutkin.com/