[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.7 Goals: has() and granular dependency lists

Rawld Gill rgill at altoviso.com
Mon Mar 14 14:53:02 EDT 2011

On Monday 14 March 2011 09:06:31 Kris Zyp wrote:
> On 3/11/2011 8:10 AM, Kris Zyp wrote:
> > There are a couple of additional overarching goals that I would like
> > to see pursued in 1.7. First, we should start using the has() pattern
> > for feature detection branching in our code. Here is the ticket for
> > (and explaining) this enhancement:
> > http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/12431
>
> Put together a patch for dojo/_base/array.js as an example upgrade to
> has().
> http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/12431
> Let me know if you have any feedback before I go wild and start
> committing this stuff ;).
> Kris

Removing the pragmas and replacing with has applications is awesome. The code
will not only function better, but it is also less complex and reads
beautifully.

I'm not convinced that on-the-fly feature test implementations are always the
way to go, though I agree they are useful for certain cases. See my previous
message for an alternative design. That said, this point can be debated and
decided as we go forward...it will be quite easy to remove these and rely on a
has module. So, I'd say, go wild. Please do dojo/_base/event.js next!!!

Best,
Rawld