[dojo-contributors] Dojo 1.7 Goals: "use strict"

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Mar 14 13:14:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Kris Zyp <kzyp at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:
> I think this might have been mentioned for 1.6, but can we start more
> proactively adding "use strict" pragmas to our modules for 1.7? Now that
> FF4 is getting more stable (and surely will be released by 1.7) and has
> use strict support, we have a decent platform to test on. This should be
> a win in terms of improving code quality. A ticket:
> http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/12441

I suggest that if it is used, the "use strict" is inside the AMD
factory function. There are issues with combining code that does a
"use strict" at the top with code that is not "use strict" friendly. I
have hit this with requirejs, so just something to be aware of. I have
gone to a model of not using "use strict" but using JSLint to lint the
code, I feel like it gives a decent tradeoff on getting the form in a
more strict form. Although I'm curious where the gaps are with that
approach vs. explicitly setting "use strict". I am sure there are
some, the default value of "this" in unbound function calls probably
being one (which we should not be relying on anyway).

James