[dojo-contributors] Dojo Utilities?

Dustin Machi dmachi at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Mar 11 12:25:00 EST 2011

From a practical perspective, at least with git, I would have expected that either we would do one of the following:

  a) Maintain a DojoX repository which is essentially a top level structure, perhaps with some boiler plate files/readmes/docs/whatever.  Then simply add a git subproject for each of those modules we are 'officially' endorsing (have been vetted by some quality/conformance metrics and are legally clean).  These are then available via the single wrapper project, but they also don't 'freewheel' follow the parent repository.  They essentially stick to whatever revision you checkin the submodule at until  you update and push this back.

  b) Alternatively, or in addition to, we could simply make a standard practice of making a fork at the dojofoundation for any projects we include in our current/past distributions. That doesn't mean we are actually forking their projects to apply changes, it can be a shadow of the master.  It is simply a way to eliminate any risk of a repository suddenly disappearing while be included in our 'official' package set.

In the end I would expect that some modules may live in the Dojotoolkit Organizational Account and others in individual or or other organization accounts.  The one plus of forcing someone to take ownership is that it can lead to an automatic distribution of work and makes stale modules/projects drop away on their own when the owner isn't able to maintain the expected criteria.

Dustin