[dojo-contributors] Dojo Utilities?

Kris Zyp kzyp at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Mar 11 11:36:56 EST 2011

On 3/11/2011 9:30 AM, Tom Trenka wrote:
>> I really don't view James application (tool) any different than these.
>> Again, I'm agreeing that it makes sense to separate these tools out going
>> toward Dojo into Dojo Foundation owned, individually run projects.  All of
>> the current code was contributed to Dojo Foundation under CLA which
>> maintains Dojo Foundations copyrights and standards on pedigree and quality
>> wherever possible.
> This brings up a good question, and something posed privately by
> Dylan...for those companies that distribute some version of DTK, do we
> need to move things to a shared Dojo Foundation code-hosting solution?
>  We'd discussed (and even setup) Github accounts for each of the
> individual projects, but maybe we really need to have a master Dojo
> Foundation account, under which things live to satisfy some of the
> legal requirements of our partners...I don't know Github well enough
> to know if it is possible to limit commit access based on individual
> projects or not but perhaps this is something to investigate sooner
> than later.

How is this any better than keeping a list of Dojo foundation approved
accounts/projects? If I want Joe's code in my codebase, I can copy it in
just as easily as I can grant access to someone to add it. Ultimately it
comes down to Dojo committers making proper use of their authority and
delegation of it. If we maintain a list of what we can safely aggregate
into a distribution, that gives us as committers final control over what
can and can't be included in the distribution.
Kris