[dojo-contributors] dojo.Stateful - long live r23032!

Rawld Gill rgill at altoviso.com
Thu Mar 10 17:31:14 EST 2011

On Thursday 10 March 2011 13:54:30 ben hockey wrote:
> partial response inline
>
> On 3/10/2011 4:16 PM, Rawld Gill wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip/>
> >>
> >> Correct, its MO -- tautologically, I disagree with anyone who
> >> disagrees with me on something as fundamental as this :-)
> >
> > Why is it fundamental? Because you say so?
> >
> > Let's try some engineering reasoning on this thread for a moment:
> >
> > 1. The documentation for dojo.stateful .watch says:
> >
> > "Watches a property for changes"
> >
> > and
> >
> > "The function to execute when the property changes."
> >
> > So, currently, dojo.stateful.watch's specification (the docs) and
> > implementation (the code) are inconsistent.
>
> actually, this is not correct.  if you look at the current state of
> dojo.stateful.watch, it notifies on all calls to set.  hence the subject
> line of this thread.  it was accidentally reverted to this behavior as
> part of r23032.

docs at
https://github.com/dojo/dojo/blob/master/Stateful.js#L83

and code at
https://github.com/dojo/dojo/blob/master/Stateful.js#L66

are inconsistent. So what are you saying is not correct? My observation? The
docs? The code?

[snip]

> > 4. APIs like stateful are quite common place. I've seen them in many
> > object systems in many languages. I'm fairly certain that most do not
> > signal on no- ops  (e.g., http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
> > us/library/ms692638%28v=VS.85%29.aspx)
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Object
> /watch notifies all watchers any time the property is set regardless of a
> change in value.

OK. But at least your example says it signals on set() application (not
property change).

Best,
Rawld