[dojo-contributors] Fwd: Using Dojo 1.6 with Closure -- document attached

Stephen Chung Stephen.Chung at intexact.com
Wed Mar 2 22:27:22 EST 2011

Hi Alex,

Not sure if emailing to dojo_dev will work...

application that I made, which uses Dojo, dijit.Dialog and dojox.mobile.

    Normal build, compressed with Closure simple mode:    373KB  (100KB
gzipped)
    Closure special build:
211KB (72KB gzipped)

Uglify should yield a similar compression ratio as Closure in simple mode.

Currently I have not been able to remove "dojo" without substantial changes
to the source tree.  It can be done, but the changes will be more tricky, in
particular dealing with statements like:

    dojo.hitch.apply(dojo, argument);
    d.addOnLoad[(dca instanceof Array ? "apply" : "call")](d, dca);
    d._loadModule.apply(d, curr);

Any one of these statements automatically creates an alias to "dojo",
preventing optimization to everything underneath.  Many of the Dojo
functions do not rely on "this" being set to "dojo", so it is probably safe
to pass null as the context to these calls, but they all have to be checked.
Other things (such as replacing dojo.mixin with individual assignments) are
quick and simple to implement.

As a result, the Closure special build does not eliminate much from Dojo
Core, unless the core source files are modified more extensively.  I believe
that, when Dojo moves to an all-AMD module style, it will be much easier to
transform the Dojo sources file into a format that can readily be processed
by Closure.

- Stephen