[dojo-contributors] Dojo Web Builder

James Thomas jthomas.uk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 06:31:20 EDT 2010

I previewed the "Dojo Web Builder" tool I've been working on at Dojo
Developer Day last week. The high level goal for the project is to
lower the learning curve for the build system, achieved by providing a
simple web UI that allows users to graphically create layers, selected
modules and generate a build. In addition, the tool can automatically
generate builds using a HTML page or custom web application archive.
The project has a web UI, Dojo, backed by a RESTful interface to the
existing build system, JAX-RS/Java/Rhino.

For those that weren't able to attend and anyone who wants to play,
I've hosted the last release at the following location:
http://jthomas.vm.bytemark.co.uk:8080/DojoBuilder/

The initial design document is available at
http://ietherpad.com/UuNJ5qHybi and is still roughly true to the
actual implementation.

Based upon feedback from DDD, there are a number of additional
features people would like to see:

- Additional "Simple" UI Mode. Have a very simple mode providing just
a text area, a build button and hiding all the options. Users can
simply paste in some text, HTML, JS and generate a build with any
modules contained, using default options. This would allow complete
novice users from other toolkits to use the tool without having to
think. (@rmurphy & Chris Mitchell)

- Analyse URLs. In the same way a user can upload a HTML file to be
analysed, allow them to specify a URL. Populate the build layers with
any standard DTK modules discovered. (@cb1kenobi)

- CommonJS Packages. Allow the build tool to handle CommonJS Packages,
referenced remotely through a URL or uploaded.

- Dependency Resolution. The tool should be able to automatically
discover all dependencies for any selected modules, including those
not already present.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, suggestions, criticism, especially
from a usability/user experience point of view.

Regards,
James