[dojo-contributors] DDD 2010 - Pulsar

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Mon Oct 18 13:18:00 EDT 2010

Inline.

On 10/18/2010 08:11 AM, Bill Keese wrote:
>   Thanks Eugene!   A few thoughts/questions that we can talk about on
> Tuesday:
>
> 1) What does the concept of "base" mean in the brave new world of
> requireJS?   Is there still something akin to the dojo namespace (albeit
> not really a global variable)?    I do see the main-browser.js file
> which combines a few modules.    Or, are you talking about treating base
> like a package, same as Tom's proposal for dojox packages, and then
> putting the other core files like dojo.fx into separate packages?

I want to package the base as one unit, which makes all services
available under one name. Probably a familiar example would be helpful:

// user's code
define(["dojo"], function(dojo){
  var container = dojo.create("div",
        {className: "panel"}, dojo.body());
  var tmpl = dojo.replace("<em>Hello, {0}!</em>", [name]);
  dojo.place(tmpl, container);
});

Or something to this effect.

Other core files, and Dijit, and DojoX packages/modules are peers of
dojo logically. For example, a dijit infrastructure can be a separate
package, and all widgets will depend on it. Obviously it should be
discussed, and at the very least we should come up with name schema, and
the way to present it to users as a unified toolkit.

> 2) When you said "influenced by EmbedJS" I figured you meant having
> alternate files based on browser capability (ex: query.js for browsers
> that support querySelectorAll() [well] and a larger query-ie.js for
> IE6-8), but I don't see that.   Not sure what the influence is.

That, and using smaller files to improve granularity, and to use simpler
versions of some things, e.g., simpler query modules. We'll talk about
it in details during DDD.

> 3) I wonder if we should branch from 1.x so that GIT can help us merge
> 1.x fixes into 2.0, or if we should just do it by hand.   Core isn't
> changing much nowadays except for dojo.store.

I think manual transfer will do just fine due to the stability of Dojo
1.x' base.

> 4) hard to tell what you changed exactly, besides removing deprecated
> functions and switching to requireJS format.

Like I mentioned, up to this point it was a straight up port. In order
to deviate from Dojo 1.x I want to get your input/blessing.

> 5) plugd.connectlive() and dojox.NodeList.delegate() are similar

Yes. I listed both for completeness.

> 6) dijit's plan is depending on that trigger code, so hopefully we will
> add it into base

It will be in the base.

Cheers,

Eugene