[dojo-contributors] Charting items for 1.6 .. current status

Dean Williams deandwill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:08:20 EDT 2010

Hi Eugene, Adam ( and Tom )
Thanks again for all your help and feedback so far re the attached 11
charting items being proposed for Dojo 1.6

Here is our  understanding of the current status for each.( details listed
below)
- For #1,  #2, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10 and #11   we believe the patches address
all of the issues/suggestions raised so far.
    If there are no other issues/suggestions we're hoping these can be
approved

Re the others:
- For #3 the code is 'functional' but more time is required to discuss &
determine the best/default user-interface/interaction.
- For #5 think we all agree to defer this ... too many issues still need to
be resolved
- For #6 we're currently looking for valid sources for the map shapefile
data .. sources whose terms&conditions our legal team will approve so we're
all covered.

*Rock:*

*#1. Layered map: http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11521*
*patch uploaded*

*#2. Pie Chart: Smart Label http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11425*

using "labelWiring" to define the stoke style of label connection line.

   1. add "labelWiring" in defaultTheme.series of Theme.js
   2. add "labelWiring" in optionalParams of Pie.js
   3. add random data testing in test_pie_smart_label.html

 * patch uploaded

#3.Selectable Chart Legend http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11520
*

implement 'dojox.charting.widget.SelectableLegend' inherited from existed
Legend

   1. Highlight data series when user hover corresponding legend;
   2. Data series vanished by click on corresponding legend;
   3. Data series displayed by click that legend again;
   4. transition animated when data highlight/vanish/display;
   5. hide fill of legend when corresponding data vanished;
   6. provide theme component for user to customize transition fill/stroke

   *patch uploaded*

*#4. Heatmap: http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11705*

 1. change heatmap to a generic widget, it can be overlaid on normal element
by given node/id;
2. introduce "opacity" parameter to see the node under heatmap;

*patch sent to adam*

#5. Axis Break: http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11709
*propose to defer *

 #6. legal map data(USA, world)
 *in progress*

*Jay:*

#7. Chart title - new API to add a title to the chart:
http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11529
Follow eugene's comments, put title font, title font color, title gap and
title position in theme.
*patch uploaded*

#8. Chart axis title - new API to add a title for both x and y axes:
http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11530
Follow eugene's comments, add title orientation parameter and put axis title
font, axis title font color, axis title title gap and axis title title
orientation in theme.
*patch uploaded*

#9 label shortening: http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11631
Add customize trailing symbols and rename the "maxLabelWordCount" to
"maxLabelCharCount", there will be a tooltip when you hover on the truncated
labels.
About "add a general way to provide already abbreviated tick labels", seems
there is no rule to follow, even the month of the year: "Sep" for
"September", the day of the week: "Mon" for "Monday", user can also
abbreviate "September" to "Sept", "Monday" to "MD". I suppose it's better to
let user customize it in "labelFunc".
*patch uploaded*

#10. Spider Chart: http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11686
Rename the "Radar" chart (Radar.js, dojox.charting.plot2d.Radar, ...) as
"Spider" chart, and provide desciption of this Spider chart and its
application area in the test case of Spider chart, and the differences when
compared to the Radar (Polar) chart.
*patch uploaded*

#11. Gantt chart with Resource chart:
http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11473
Follow eugene's comments:
1> Make it a top-level name: dojox.gantt.
2> Separate off the css style code in js files into css files.
3> Add some dijit form widgets and use claro theme for better outlook, then
shrink the gantt chart code to less than 250 Kilobyte.
4> change gantt data format from xml to json (adam suggest)
*patch uploaded*

... regards   Dean