[dojo-contributors] My attempt at a lightweight mobile-ready grid/table

Evan Huang evanhuangwei at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 06:42:07 EDT 2010

Great works, Kris,

The synch store api brings significant simplifications and the new
observer/stateful patten looks very impressive.

BTW, something may worth a discussion so that we can ideally have the
same new Grid core scaled well both for desktop and mobile:

1. Have a centralized class for registering & dispatching events?
This would be more convenient for event customization, typically e.g.
to easily plug in the further touch & gesture event layer

2. Virtual paging model
It's great that the adjacent divs are also used as page holders, so
for huge pages(data), I suppose the "padding position"  way will be
used, right?

3. Have a separate scroller managing the virtual paging
So that it will be easier to add a pagination plugin or we can even
make the pagination as default?

4. UI rendering customization - especially when adding UI plugins
Ideally Grid core won't have concept of any plugins but only with
interfaces opened, so that various plugins can hook in and add
corresponding UI parts

5. Advanced features & backward compatibility
This won't be a problem for mobile, but the desktop version is
supposed to keep supporting some complex layout e.g. multiple views,
flexible colSpan/rowSpan etc. Another big pain is backward
compatibility, can I assume that after moving to new sotre() API, we
can still make it compatible with previous data api with adapters?

Sorry for coming up with these stuff, I know they may break the
simplification, but it's just a trade off.

Regards!
- Evan