[dojo-contributors] Fwd: Dojo & Mobile - devs needed

Evan Huang evanhuangwei at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 04:23:41 EDT 2010

Yeah, having a minimized but still highly extendable Chart Main class would
be a great idea, also several more possible items for accommodating charting
on mobile:

1. Events enhancement for typical Touch & Gesture scenario
Since we won't avoid facing this increasing reqts, once a HTML based Touch &
Gesture layer ready in dojox.mobile, we then need to add corresponding
changes in charting - more specifically add related event support into
canvas impl in dojox.gfx?

e.g. in mobile charting, add a new "MobilePlotEvents" by extending
"dojox.charting.plot2d._PlotEvents" for handling Touch & Gesture events

2. Lightweight animations with CSS3
Mobile charting may also need lightweight animations with CSS3

e.g. add new actions by extending dojox.charting.action2d.* package,  if
possible the mobile actions will try to use CSS3 for animations, otherwise
just reuse dojo.fx from their parent classes

In order to reduce code size a bit, mobile charting can be packaged with
canvas impl in dojox.gfx, that shall make sense since dojox.mobile mainly
targets HTML5.

BTW, for big widgets used in mobile like Charting & Grid, I think good
support for touch & gestures like swipe, pinch, scale, rotate etc. may
become more important since that will provide user flexible ways to see the
details as expected.

Regards!
- Evan