[dojo-contributors] My attempt at a lightweight mobile-ready grid/table

Kris Zyp kzyp at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Oct 6 16:08:31 EDT 2010

 I've been wanting to have a decent widget to natively run and test
against the new dojo object store API, and having been frustrated with
the DataGrid, and also seeing the interest in a mobile-ready
plugin-based grid, I thought it'd try to put some together from a clean
slate. So here is my attempt at next generation widget/grid:
http://github.com/kriszyp/objectable (runs in dojox.table on latest trunk)
And the demo of it:
http://kzyp.dojotoolkit.org/trunk/dojox/table/tests/test_table_programmatic.html

Key aspects:
* Natively uses Dojo Object Store API - Directly uses the store API,
including result set observation (the new notification events), for
proper rearrangement of rows in response to data changes.
* Mobile ready - Handles touch events for scrolling, check out the demo
on your iPhone.
* Extremely easy to write plugins. By using persistent DOM nodes, the
Tree, Selection, and Editing are all written as very simple plugins in
less then 100 LOC each.
* Lightweight - Less than 20K src, probably be 3-4K gzipped/minified.
* Very fast
* Very few dependencies - Optimized build could probably contain
stripped down dojo.js and everything needed under 20-30K gzipped
* Includes support for key features from the DataGrid:
** Virtual Paging
** Sorting
** Selection
** Tree/hierarchical expansion (based on the hierarchical extensions to
the object store)
** Editing
** Notifications

Anyway, it still rough, I haven't really spent that much time on it, but
I think it is nice clean, simple, and extensible design.
Thanks,
Kris