[dojo-contributors] Dojo & Mobile - devs needed

Evan Huang evanhuangwei at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 09:54:12 EDT 2010

Hi Shane,

Recalling this thread, I just got some new thoughts, please correct me if
any inappropriateness(sorry for getting back late as I only recently got a
chance to explore the emerging mobile world):

So how about adding following two pieces to our mobile plan? If possible I'd
like to spend my partial time on them after v.1.6(will need to get support
from my boss ;-) )
1. dojox.mobile.Gird
2. dojox.mobile.Charting

I think both of them are very important to mobile, will help us catch up and
may also help make dojox.mobile outstanding(at least I haven't seen any
similar activities yet in JQTouch, ShenCha...)

For #1, we may try to leverage the in-progress new Grid work to figure out a
lightweight mobile version(still = core + a smaller set of features)

For #2, more discussions are still needed, but since we've already got an
excellent dojox.charting framework, we may start by reusing the canvas impl
with possible changes to make it more suitable for mobile.

It's still not clear yet but I hope we could reuse most corresponding code
in desktop version for #1 and #2. Once the interesting touch & gesture event
layer were ready, we can then plug it in since HTML event handling is
already separately encapsulated in new Grid(FIXME - the same for Charting?)

As discussed previously, in the future we may have two typical
usage scenario for dojox.mobile:
    1. Within html page in mobile browsers
    2. Run as native app in mobile(with help from some cool tools like
PhoneGap),
I'm optimistic that mobile Grid & Charting will apply well for the both
cases.

Most importantly, since mobile Grid & Charting both require significant
efforts, we really need to ensure they worth the investment before hand.

At last, following below are some existing mobile chartings, though most of
them are still native app specific to a certain platform, I think we can get
some inspiration anyway.

http://designingwebinterfaces.com/mobile_chart_options
http://www.zingchart.com/flash-and-html5-canvas/#compatibility
http://www.keepedge.com/