[dojo-contributors] Module formats for the browser

Kris Zyp kzyp at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Mar 29 08:53:40 EDT 2010

On 3/29/2010 2:41 AM, Karl Tiedt wrote:
> This may have been asked before, but I didnt find any references to it
> in an archive search... Has anyone thats done loader testing compared
> Run/RequireJS against Kyle Simpson's (@getify on twitter) LabJs?
> http://labjs.com/
>
> Just curious since he is always talking about the huge performance
> gains of his version of a loader, maybe something worth at least
> peeking at before doing sweeping changes under the hood to make
> another loader work. (or possibly incorporate some ideas from it)

AFAICT, basically both loaders just insert script elements to load
scripts, so I wouldn't expect much difference in performance (maybe some
one knows better). The primary difference between labjs.com and
RequireJS is that LABjs is designed for loading scripts that don't
declare their own dependencies, so one has to manually declare
dependencies and loading order with LABjs. RequireJS is designed for
modules that do declare their dependencies, which obviously matches
Dojo's design.

Kris