[dojo-contributors] Module formats for the browser

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Mar 26 01:56:51 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Ben Hockey <neonstalwart at gmail.com> wrote:
> kris/james - is there anything we can do to work towards influencing
> CommonJS in a way that would make the modules more suitable for the
> browser or have they reached a critical mass in the direction they
> have taken?

I have tried participating, but I probably joined too late, and I
think the mindset of the people in the group are more server based.
And at this point I am concerned about coming off as a troll on their
list. I do not agree with some base assumptions that drove their
module spec, so it is really hard to be effective.

So depending on your viewpoint, if you take the three CommonJS specs,
the basic module one, the transport one and the require.async/ensure
one, you could claim that CommonJS modules work in the browser, as
long as you like running a server that can transform code for you. Or
you like extra compile steps.

James